R2 Certified Recycling
R2 and RIOS Certifications
Understanding Recycling Standards
Electronic equipment is highly toxic to the environment, and at GCI we are firmly committed to reducing the impact electronic waste has on our world. As an RIOS and R2 certified recycling company, we follow the strictest standards of equipment and materials management. We process used electronics in order to make the materials more suitable for reuse. Our goal is to turn everything we collect into a reusable stream of components or commodities. Through our reduce, reuse and recycle process, GCI is setting the standard for reducing e-waste.
R2 and RIOS are separate but complementary standards that govern the recycling industry. RIOS was developed for the broader recycling industry, and covers all attributes from quality to safety to environmental protection. R2 is best practices specific to electronic waste. Combined, an R2 certification and RIOS certification ensures that your ITAD vendor has an audited management system in place.
The Recycling Industry Operating Standard (RIOS) was developed by leading experts to provide a framework for understanding, evaluating and eliminating risk within a recycling operation.
Key requirements in the RIOS Standard include:
- The RIOS Footprint – Evaluations of Risks and Impacts
- Development and Implementation of Operational Controls
- Communication Procedures (Internal and External)
- Goal Setting and Continual Improvement
- Process for Measuring and Monitoring Effectiveness
Responsible Recycling (R2) is the industry standard for the responsible handling of end-of-life electronics. Created by Sustainable Electronics Recycling International (SERI,) R2 certification recognizes vendors with comprehensive health, safety and environmental management systems in place. R2 certification is international, as the safe handling of e-waste is a global concern.
R2 certification covers:
- Environmental, Health and Safety Management Systems
- Reuse & Recover Hierarchy of Responsible Management Strategies
- Legal Requirements
- Reusable Equipment and Components
- Data Destruction
- Focus Materials
Benefits of Certified Recycling
Responsible recycling of e-waste provides important advantages to the client, the vendor, and to the earth itself.
- Reducing Environmental and Human Health Impacts
- Reducing Energy Use
- Conserving Natural Resources
- Minimizing Environmental Impacts from Mining and Processing of Virgin Materials
- Increasing Access to Quality Reusable and Refurbished Equipment
- Brand Protection and Risk Minimization
Quality You Can Trust
The Combined R2/RIOS certification is recognized by the U.S. General Services and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Certification is fully audited every three years, and includes shorter surveillance audits in the interim years to ensure compliance. Only facilities that conform to all provisions of the standard and are current on required audits and oversight are permitted to claim R2 certification for ITAD. Choosing an R2/RIOS certified ITAD vendor not only helps protect the environment, it also reduces risk to your business, data and brand. GCI not only complies with, but exceeds all EPA regulations and guidelines for handling e-waste.